- How do I find out about current job openings with the City of Tucson?
- The link to jobs that are currently open with the City of Tucson is located in the upper left-hand side of this page labeled Job Openings. Jobs are updated daily and are viewable as long as the recruitment is open.
- How do I apply for a current job opening with the City of Tucson?
- Click on Job Openings. You can view the positions that are currently open, who is eligible to apply, the first and the last day to apply for a position, and the salary range for each job. Jobs without a date in the Last Day to Apply column will remain open until a qualified candidate is found or are continuously open with periodic reviews of applications. Applications are accepted only online and only for positions that are currently open. You will require a computer and e-mail address to complete the online application.
- Can I apply for openings that indicate they are designated for city employee applicants only?
- Only current City of Tucson employees employed in jobs designated as “permanent” civil service positions may apply for openings restricted to city employee applicants. The general public and current City of Tucson employees serving in appointed positions or “non-permanent” positions are not eligible to apply for positions designated for city employee applicants only.
- What if the position I am interested in is not listed in the current job openings?
- The City of Tucson only accepts applications for positions that are shown as current openings on the “Online Employment System” web page. In addition, applications will be disqualified if they are received after the position’s stated application deadline. Applicants are encouraged to check the “Online Employment System” web page frequently for new postings. Job openings are posted for a minimum of one week.
- What if I don’t have a computer and/or an e-mail address?
- If you do not have access to a computer, you may visit a local library to use a public computer. You may also visit the Human Resources Department at 255 West Alameda Drive, Third Floor, Tucson, AZ 85701 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). Computers are available in the Human Resources Department to complete your employment application during regular business hours. Be sure to allow enough time to complete your application materials before the office closes at 5:00 p.m. If required in the job announcement, you will need to paste in an electronic copy of your resume.
- What does it mean when a position deadline is “open and continuous?”
- A position vacancy designated as “open and continuous” means applications will be accepted until the position is filled or there will be periodic reviews of applications as vacancies become available. Remember that applications are reviewed periodically and selection processes may be conducted at any time. It is best to file an application as early as possible in order to ensure that your application is considered during the early or initial reviews and selection processes.
- Do I have to log in to view job openings?
- No. You can view all City of Tucson job openings and the Job Details without registering or logging in. Simply select the “View Job Openings” button at the top of the “Online Employment System” web page.
- Can I change my profile after initially creating it?
- Yes. You can change your profile, training and experience, and resume at any time. It’s a good idea to keep these updated so that the most current information is available. Simply select the “My Employment Profile” button at the top of the “Online Employment System” webpage.
- How do I update my resume?
- Click on the “My Employment Profile” button at the top of the “Online Employment System” web page, and then select the “My Profile Information” button. You can update a generic resume or make changes to the resume currently on file in the system so that it is specific to the most recent job that you are applying for. Keep in mind that if you have applied for several jobs, only the most recent resume will be visible with all of your applications.
- Can I start my application and finish it at a later time?
- Yes. Click on the “Save and Exit” button to save your application information so that you can come back at a later time and finish it. Remember though, you must click the “Submit Application” button to actually apply for the job. Check your application carefully before clicking on the “Submit Application” button to apply for the job, especially if you are working on your online application form over several internet sessions. A fully completed online application form and any supplemental questions must be submitted by the stated deadline. If an online application form or supplemental questions are incomplete by the position closing date, the application will be disqualified.
- What happens if my Internet connection shuts down while I am doing my application?
- Most dial-up Internet connections time out after 30 minutes or less. This means that your Internet connection may be lost while you are completing the application. If you lose your Internet connection for any reason while you are applying for a job, you will lose any unsaved information. It’s a good practice to save your information every few minutes. If you do lose your internet connection, you can get back into any application information you have saved by re-entering the City of Tucson “Online Employment System” web site and clicking on the “Login” button, then entering your e-mail address and password.
- Do I need to redo my profile information each time that I apply?
- No. It is important though to keep your profile information updated. You can update your profile information anytime, even if the job opening you applied for has already closed.
- How can I check on the status of my application?
- You can check on the status of your application any time before the “Last Day to Apply” and for a short period of time after the “Last Day to Apply” (usually until formal notifications begin). However, you will not be able to change any of your application information after the “Last Day to Apply” date (the date the position closes).
To view the status of your application, go to the City of Tucson home page at http://.tucsonaz.gov, click on the “Apply for City Jobs” link loacated under Online Services. This will take you to the “Online Employment System.” Click on the “Login” button and enter your login information. If you click on the “My Employment Profile” box by mistake, it will ask you for your email address and password to login. Once you login, you will be taken to your Employment Profile. From this page, you will be able to view the status of your application(s).
- How do I send additional information such as certificates or Motor Vehicle Reports?
- Some positions require additional information that cannot be sent as part of the online application process. This includes certificates that show the level of proficiency on certain computer software, typing, and office skills. It also includes information like Motor Vehicle Reports or copies of professional certifications, diplomas, and so on. Follow the instructions listed in the job details to submit this material. Failure to submit this material may result in disqualification of your application. Depending upon the position, you may be required to send the information to the City of Tucson Human Resources Department, Employment Division prior to the 5:00 PM on the closing date, or you may be instructed to bring it with you to a designated testing location.
- What happens to my application after I have submitted it?
- The process for filling a majority of position openings with the City of Tucson is established based on the City of Tucson’s Civil Service Commission’s Rules and Regulations.
Typically, this process begins with an initial review of applications after the position close date. During this initial review, it is determined if an application has met the minimum qualifications for the position, if the application and supplemental materials are complete (a non-complete application form and/or materials may result in disqualification), and that there are no factors that would subject an application to disqualification under the City of Tucson’s Civil Service Commission’s Rules and Regulations or any other requirements of the position.
Following the initial review, those applicants deemed to have the most competitive application materials will be subject to further evaluation consisting of one or more of the following items: a written, oral, or performance test; a rating of education, training and experience; any test of technical knowledge, manual skill, physical or mental fitness, personality; or any combination thereof, which the Human Resources Director deems will reveal the capacity of the applicant for the particular job.
Following completion of the evaluation process(es), an “eligible to hire list” is developed by the Human Resources Department. Applicants are notified of their status and the “eligible to hire list” is referred to the hiring department who may opt to conduct additional interviews and/or testing to determine the top candidate(s).