Employees Facing Layoff
Stress, Loss and Resiliency
It is natural to feel stress and grief through the layoff process. But you do not need to feel alone. Help is available through the City Employee Assistance Program (EAP), through our mini-workshops for 'Financial Planning in Layoff' and our 5 workshop series for 'New Job Search'.
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is provided through Ability Assist, in conjunction with The Hartford. You have access to certified counselors by telephone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In addition, the EAP provides up to 5 face-to-face counseling sessions per year. EAP services are available for you up to 90 days after termination.
2. To Speak to a Certified Counselor, or To Schedule a Face-To-Face Meeting, Call: 1-800-964-3577
What Happens Next?
1. All employees who exercised their bump rights and went to a lower classification will be placed on a LAYOFF LIST for the classification from which they bumped from. If they bumped down more than one classification (because they were the most junior), they will be placed on those additional classifications as well.
2. All employees who actually cease employment through a layoff will be placed on a LAYOFF LIST for the classification from which the employee is laid off.
3. Probationary employees will not be afforded the City layoff civil service processes; however, their name will be placed back on the Employment List from which they were selected from, if that employment list it is still active.
4. Upon approved vacancies to fill, all eligible names on these Lists will be certified to the hiring authority in the department. Employees will remain on these Lists two years from the date of layoff. For clarification, email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
The City will offer two workshop series designed to assist affected employees with managing their finances and the job search process.
Financial Planning resources for employees facing layoff include links, contact information, summaries or checklists and mini-workshops for the following. Employees who have received notice of layoff may attend the mini-workshop series for 'Financial Planning in Layoff' on work time prior to their layoff effective date. Family members are welcome. Schedules to be determined.
New Job Search Workshop Series consists of 5 workshops and is designed specifically for assisting employees who have been laid off to prepare for and launch a new job search. Employees who have received notice of layoff may attend the job-search workshop series on work time prior to their layoff effective date. Schedules to be determined.
- ENROLL in Workshop Series online at www.coteu.org - to be scheduled.
- Classes will be available for enrollment starting __________.
- Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES)
- Apply for your benefits online, or call
- (520) 791-2722
- You should apply as soon as possible after your last day of work.
- In order to apply, you will need:
- Your Social Security #
- Mailing address
- County of residency
- Names, addresses, ph. #s of all employers for the last 18 mos.
- Last day worked prior to filing claim
- If receiving pay for unused vacation, the amount and date paid to you
- Name and # of your local union hall, if applicable
- Alien Registration #, if applicable
- Copy #4 of DD Form 214 if released from military in last 18 mos.
- SF 8 or SF 50 if employed in Federal Civilian service in last 18 mos.
- If collecting a pension (other than SS), provide start date & monthly benefit amount
- Weekly benefit is based on salary, maximum is $265/week (includes federal $25 subsidy).
- Pima One-Stop Unemployment Mini-Workshop Schedule - to be scheduled.
- COBRA - You may continue your existing medical, dental and/or vision coverage for up to 18 months through COBRA. The cost is 102% of the monthly premium, payable by check or money order to the City of Tucson. You may also be eligible to continue coverage under the Health Care Flexible Spending Account, provided your account is underspent (i.e., you have not claimed an amount equal to or more than your contributions to date). The City Benefits Office will mail COBRA election information and procedures to your home address. Election and payment deadlines exist. For more information about COBRA, please visit the links below.
- AHCCCS - Health Care Assistance
- Supplemental Life Insurance: If you have been covered by the City of Tucson supplemental life insurance policy for at least one year, you may elect to take your policy with you.
- Life insurance booklet with portability information
- Portability information on pages 2, 10, and 11
- Portability rates: Multiply your biweekly deduction x 26 x 1.76 to estimate your annual portability premium. You can pay annually, semi-annually or quarterly. You can also reduce tiers, but you may not increase from your current coverage.
- Long-Term Disability: Long Term Disability coverage ends on the date of your termination.
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Coverage ends on your last day of employment. Any expenses incurred PRIOR to your last day of employment may be submitted for reimbursement. All claims for reimbursement must be submitted within 90 days of your date of termination. Money not expended from your account will not be refunded to you. If your account is underspent, you may be eligible to continue coverage through COBRA for the health care FSA (but not the dependent care FSA) by paying on an after-tax basis.
- Colonial: Coverage ends on your last day of employment. If you would like to continue existing coverage, you may arrange to do so directly with Colonial. Please call 800-325-4368 to arrange for direct billing and payment. Deadlines exist. Please contact Colonial for details.
- Insurance Mini-Workshop Schedule - to be scheduled.
- TSRS: If you have 5 years of qualifying service and are vested, you are qualified to receive lifetime pension benefits at age 62.
- TSRS member self-serve portal
- TSRS Contact Number: (520) 791-4598
- Deferred Compensation: If you currently participate in the Deferred Compensation program, you have 3 options:
- Leave your money in your ICMA Deferred Compensation Account
- Rollover your money to another plan
- Withdraw your money
- ICMA Retirement Corp (Deferred Comp)
- ICMA Contact Number: 1-888-883-8614 (toll free)
- ICMA Retirement Corp (Deferred Comp)
- Pension and Deferred Compensation Mini-Workshop Schedule: - to be scheduled.
4. Family Budgeting to Bridge to New Employment - to be scheduled
5. Workshop Series Schedules - to be scheduled
Applying for Unemployment Benefits: Workshops presented by Pima OneStop and DES will be scheduled on site at various City locations.
Insurance Options: Workshops presented by Employee Benefits will be scheduled on site at various City locations.
Pension and Deferred Compensation: Workshops presented by the Retirement Office will be scheduled on site at various City locations.
Family Budgeting: Workshops will be scheduled on site at various City locations.
Free Federal and State income tax preparation
Workshop 1: Street Smarts (4 hours)
- Street Smarts
- What to do next
- Understanding the road ahead
- Job Search Approaches
- Self-Assessment of Successes
- S.T.A.K.E.—Skills, Traits, Abilities, Knowledge and Experience
- C.A.R.—Challenges, Actions and Resuclts
- Accomplishment Statements
- Resume Format
- Civil Service Rights for Rehires
Workshop 2: Creating Resume (4 hours)
- Review C.A.R.s
- Write Accomplishment Statements
- Draft Resume
Workshop 3: Interviewing (4 hours)
- Resume—review draft
- Interviewing based on resume
Workshop 4: Job Search (4 hours)
- Resume - review final
- Interview practice based on resume
- Preparing and dressing for the interview
- Job search
- Online Application
Workshop 5: Job Offer Evaluation (2 hours)
- Evaluating the job offer
- Transitioning to a new job and new workplace culture
- ENROLL in Workshop Series online at www.coteu.org
- Classes to be scheduled starting _____________.
- America's Job Bank
- Enter type of positions and city or zip (use 85701)
- This is a U.S. Government site where all jobs with the Pima County OneStop are downloaded each day
- National Job Banks
- Search by State, by Job Bank or by Veterans Resources
- Links to Job Banks include America's Job Exchange, Government jobs, Flipdog, HireMeNow.com, Indeed, JOBcentral, Jobs.com, Monster.com, and USAJobs
- Yahoo! Hotjobs