CITY OF TUCSON BOND-FUNDED STREET REPAIR PROGRAM TO BREAK GROUND JULY 1ST - A five-year, $100M street repair program, funded by voter-approved bonds from last November’s Proposition 409, will launch Monday, July 1st. A groundbreaking ceremony is being planned for that morning at a site along Tucson Blvd., near the Tucson International Airport. About 85% of the program will consist of resurfacing major and arterial roadways, while the remaining 15% will focus on neighborhood streets. From the Star. Read the info page on the City's street repair program here.
AGENDA SPOTLIGHT: PLAN TUCSON - At tomorrow’s M&C Study Session, staff will give a presentation on the status of Plan Tucson, the City’s proposed new General & Sustainability Plan. By state law, the City must refer a General Plan to the ballot for voter approval every ten years. Tucson voters approved the current General Plan in 2001, but a 2010 bill passed by the Arizona Legislature extended Tucson’s deadline until 2015. In a few weeks, M&C will have the opportunity to refer Plan Tucson to the November 2013 ballot for voter approval. Read the M&C memo here.
BODY FOUND IN HOME AFTER MIDTOWN HOUSE FIRE - TFD firefighters discovered a body yesterday in a home in the 1900 block of North Julius Stravenue while performing a search of the home after they had extinguished a fire. Multiple calls were made to 9-1-1 to report smoke and flames from the home and crews responding to the scene reported heavy black smoke in the area. TFD and TPD are jointly investigating the causes of the fire and the fatality. Read the news release from TFD here, story in the Star here, story from KVOA here.
AIRPORT WEBSITE GETS NEW NAME, NEW LOOK - The Tucson International Airport (TIA) launched a re-branding initiative this week with a new website, FlyTucson.com. The airport’s website offers information on parking, airlines and flights, fare deals, projects and more. Users who type in the former site address will automatically be redirected to the new site. “The website and other new marketing materials are designed to illustrate TIA’s ‘It’s the way to go’ brand statement” said Mary Davis, senior director of business development and marketing for Tucson Airport Authority (TAA). TIA and Ryan Airfield are owned by the City of Tucson, and operated by TAA under a lease agreement. From the AZ Aviation Journal.
CONTRACT OPPORTUNITY: EMPLOYEE UNIFORMS - The City of Tucson seeks to establish a City Wide annual requirements contract for the purchase of Employee Uniforms. The City of Tucson seeks to establish a City Wide annual requirements contract for the purchase of Employee Uniforms. Items to be supplied under this contract include shirts, jackets, trousers, coveralls and more. The total annual spend against this contract is estimated at about $200K. Read the City of Tucson RFP here.