Broadway and Church Avenue Intersectio
On Monday August 6, 2012, at 6 a.m. the Sun Link Tucson Streetcar contractor will begin necessary repair and replacement of a sewer line that extends across Broadway between Congress and Stone Avenues. The condition of the sewer lines and manholes require immediate and extensive underground work. The boundaries of the work area and safety considerations require Broadway to be completely closed between Church and Stone Avenues. The closure will be in effect 24 hours a day through mid-September. The traveling public should be aware of this information:
- Access to the underground parking garage for tenants of 1 South Church Avenue will be maintained.
- Broadway eastbound traffic will be detoured south on Church Avenue to Ochoa Street or McCormick Street, east to Stone and Scott Avenues, and north back to Broadway. Tucson Police officers will be on-site to assist with directing traffic.
- Four-way stops will be in place at the intersections of Ochoa Street at Stone Avenue and McCormick Street at Stone Avenue.
- Turn movements from eastbound Broadway to northbound Church will be maintained during daytime hours. Intermittent nighttime restrictions may be in place.
- Parking will not be allowed along Church Avenue between Broadway and Jackson Street while the detour is in place.
- Sidewalk access will be maintained at all times, however, north and southbound Church Avenue pedestrians must use the crosswalk on the west side of the intersection to cross Broadway while intersection work is under way.
Euclid Avenue and University Boulevard Intersection
To lessen the impact to the traveling public during construction, the contractor has expedited the timeframe for placing rail on University Boulevard between Park and Euclid Avenues. To accomplish this, the intersection of Euclid Avenue and University Boulevard will be closed 24 hours a day beginning on Wednesday, August 8, 2012 at 3 a.m. until approximately 3 a.m. on Monday August 13, 2012, weather permitting. When reopened, travel on Euclid Avenue will be reduced to one travel lane in each direction while the contractor completes work in the area.
The full closure of the intersection will allow the contractor to install rail, pour the concrete track slab and pave University Boulevard from Euclid Avenue to Park Avenue. The intersection must be fully closed due to the extensive nature of the work and safety concerns. The traveling public should be aware of this information:
- During this closure crews will be working extended hours and weekends.
- Access to the University of Arizona Visitor’s Center, the Tyndall Avenue Garage and Main Gate Garage will be maintained.
- Motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes when approaching this intersection. Message boards will be in place to direct motorists around the work zone.
- Business access will be maintained
- Pedestrian access will be maintained.
- Please use caution when driving, bicycling or walking in the work areas. Please obey all traffic control devices and watch for construction personnel and equipment in the work zones.
The Sun Link Tucson Streetcar Team continues to evaluate the construction phasing and work zones to keep the project on schedule and on budget. From time to time, adjustments to the schedule will be made based on field operations and consideration of the time frame for the delivery and placement of the rail.
Additional work is being performed all along the 3.9-mile Sun Link Streetcar route. For more information regarding the Modern Streetcar Project, and to sign up for weekly project updates, visit the Sun link Modern Streetcar website at www.tucsonstreetcar.com
The voter-approved, $2.1 billion Regional Transportation Authority plan will be implemented through 2026. Details about the full plan are available at www.RTAmobility.com. The RTA has a nine-member board with representatives from local, state and tribal governments. While funded through the RTA, the above project will be managed by Tucson Department of Transportation