The City of Tucson Volunteer Program has been developed to enhance public understanding of what we do, and build shared sense of community while enhancing our ability to get real work done. Volunteers are Ambassadors in the Public Service. As ambassadors, citizen volunteers working in government are a bridge. A volunteer will help to:
• Build shared awareness of community needs and government challenges in meeting those needs.
• Promote collaboration.
• Strengthen trust and shared sense of community among us.
• Accomplish real work, maintaining and enhancing city services.
The Volunteer Program is a win-win-win solution.
• It is a win for you as volunteers. There is a personal payback in volunteering. For some it is a sense of participation and investment in the greater good of the community. For others it is a way to give back what they have received, or experience the joy and satisfaction in giving of one’s self. For others still, “it can be a life-altering encounter that actually helps them identify their singular purpose in life”, explore new career options, or gain valuable job experience.
• It is a win for government. Volunteers contribute their experience, knowledge, talents and time, and in doing so, relieve the workload, and enhance our ability to provide services without incurring new costs. Just as importantly, volunteers bring fresh perspectives and insights to what we do, inspiring new ways of doing things, and a shared sense of purpose and community among us.
• It is a win for the community. The ancient city of Athens had a creed for its citizens as they came of age and joined the community, “we will transmit this City, not only not less, but greater and more beautiful than it was transmitted to us.” In working collaboratively together, citizen volunteers and government staff revitalize our relationship as one community united by our civic pride and desire to better our city for ourselves and the generations to come.
The Athenian Oath
We will strive increasingly to quicken the
public's sense of civic duty.
Thus in all these ways we will transmit this City, not only not less,
but greater and more beautiful than it was transmitted to us.
How To Become a City of Tucson Volunteer
It's easy! We are seeking volunteer positions in the following areas:
• General Office Volunteer assists departmental staff with general office duties and helps the work unit complete individual projects and assignments. The issues and tasks vary from project to project, and consequently, the specific skills required for each project may vary. Most projects will require skills in one or more of the following areas.
• General Maintenance Volunteer assists department with general outdoor duties and helps the work unit complete individual projects. The issues and tasks vary from project to project, and consequently, the specific skills required for each project may vary.
• Executive & Professional Volunteers for Special Projects assist City Manager and Departmental staff with projects requiring skill, experience and education related to a variety of public policy issues and organizational management. The issues vary from project to project, and consequently, the specific skills required for each project may vary.
Just Fill out the online application below and you will be contacted by the City Department in need of your skills.
Online Volunteer Application