Each winter, Tucson Water reminds customers - residential and business - to insulate exposed water pipes, plumbing, and backflow assemblies.
- Wrap exposed pipes and plumbing with proper insulation, available at plumbing supply and home improvement stores.
- Use temporary insulation, such as towels or blankets, until a better option is available.
- Winterize your irrigation system, backflow prevention assembly, and evaporative cooler.
Free by mail from Tucson Water (any or all):
"Winterizing Tips" document
"Homeowners' Guide to Using Water Wisely" booklet
“What You Should Know About Backflow Prevention” brochure
E-mail your name, postal mailing address, and publication request to our Public Information / Conservation Office (PICO).
If you have to turn off the water to your home or business, do so at the shut-off valve, NOT at the water meter.
If you need the water meter valve turned off, call Tucson Water at our emergency number at (520) 791-4133 or Customer Service at (520) 791-3242 (after 8 a.m., Monday through Friday). It is important that you know where this valve is located in case you need to quickly turn off the water in an emergency situation.
- Locate your water meter. Most are located at the front of the home or business near the sidewalk or at the rear (alley).
- Remove the lid. Behind the meter, on the side closest to your home or business, you should find either a gate valve (looks like a wheel) or a ball valve (has a handle). To close a gate valve, turn to the right; to close a ball valve, turn ¼ of the way to the right.
- If you cannot see or turn the valve, call Tucson Water. We will respond as soon as staff are available. Call our emergency number at (520) 791-4133 or Customer Service at (520) 791-3242 (after 8 a.m., Monday through Friday).
- Call a plumber for assistance if the break is on your property (between the meter and your home or business or inside your home or business).
To report running water or leaks, water problems where the main water valve needs to be turned off, or a pressure decrease, click here to send an e-mail.
Current Weather Conditions for Tucson (Tucson International Airport)
Graphical Weather Forecasts (National Weather Service-Tucson Sector)